Head of Development and Quality Assurance (HoDQ)
Head of Development and Quality Assurance (HoDQ) in Chi-X Global Technology (Philippines) Inc., a
wholly-owned subsidiary of Chi-X Asia Pacific Holdings with market operations in Japan and Australia
reporting directly to the Chief Technology Officer.
Chi-X Asia Pacific is a leading equity exchange operator in two of the most sophisticated markets in the world
in Japan & Australia, and is a wholly owned subsidiary of J.C. Flowers & Co. a leading private equity financial
services investor with over $16 billion in capital invested. The nature of running stock exchange venues, like
Chi-X does, means interacting with the top finance firms in the world who are our clients (Investment banks,
high frequency traders, hedge funds). Chi-X Global Technology Philippines enhances and operates the trading
platform technology for exchanges in Japan & Australia and has a team of over 60 technologists on site.
Summary of the Role
The HoDQ is a leadership role accountable for the successful delivery of software services from CXGTP for the Chi-X Group.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Delivery and Quality
- To lead and manage a team of technical leads, software developers and QA specialists and support
them in building optimized, robust and innovative software solutions that are fit for purpose based
on user needs.
- To facilitate the smooth, on-time and on-budget delivery of all projects, enhancements and support.
- To take responsibility for the quality and technical approach taken by team members, ensuring it is
in-line with the company strategy.
- To work with the PMO team to implement mechanisms to monitor, manage and provide progress on
all software development activities.
- To create, implement and maintain a continuous improvement plan for software development and
quality assurance teams.
- Set regular calls with the market center CTOs to discuss strategy, roadmap status and issues
- Handle all communication and updates to the market centers in the event of a severity 1 or 2
- Take the lead when issues arise and initiate WAR room discussions to resolve the issues quickly or
provide steps to mitigate the problem.
- Ensure effective internal communications both within the software development and QA teams and
across the organization
- Ensure communication from the team to the market centers is at a professional level
- Provide regular project updates to the CTO
- To drive consistent standards and approaches throughout the development and QA teams that aligns
with the Chi-X Groups processes and policies.
- Create and maintain a professional culture within the team, where individuals take ownership and
are fastidious and proud of delivering excellence and quality
- To take control over critical support instances and putting into place the correct escalation and
process to manage and resolve issues as soon as possible
- Establish clear organizational structures and succession plans aligned with appropriate
responsibilities, accountabilities and personal development for all Software Development and QA
- To coach and performance manage where necessary
- Take accountability and responsibility for effective financial management, planning and monitoring
of the Software Development and QA teams;
- Provide monthly information to enable the creation of financial results and forecasts for the team.
Strategy and Planning
- Review and apply best practices to establish architecture and frameworks consistent with and
supportive of the Chi-X Strategy;
- To facilitate technology and methodology decision-making throughout the team, including
standardization of system architecture, reusable code base development, versions of software tools,
best practice, source control and deployment processes
- To proactively drive innovation with new ideas and options made available by new technologies
- At least five years combined experience as a developer contributor (not manager) in at least five of
the following fields:
- Real-time application programming
- Shell scripting for cron jobs, application wrappers and utilities
- Network programming
- Linux IPC
- Thread management
- Large data set processing and reporting using SQL or big data implementations
- High-performance computing (four to five digit TPS)
- Low-latency computing (sub-millisecond processing)